Sunday 14 December 2008

Christmas, secrets and the art of buying jeans

Hi Guys,

How is everyone? Hope things are going well wherever you are and whatever you're up to.

Things here are going by as normal. Work is pretty busy now but I'm coping. It will be really weird come January when we get back to the normal guest counts. We'll feel like we have nothing to do! I was in the other night and we were so busy, I didn't get the chance to bus my own tables! I would take an order, go and input it and when I got back a table would have paid, left and the table would be cleared, reset and resat! It was that fast! Scary!

I had a rather frightening moment the other night when my manager, Nick told me I was getting a VIP table. It was the manager of Animal Kingdom. Nick freaked me out by telling me I had to be perfect and do everything by the book and get the drinks out within two minutes and bus tables around within six minutes.....I was so worried. Then the table was sat and I went to greet them. It was the manager and her husband plus two kids. I actually felt myself relax. I'm on my own turf when it comes to children. They don't faze me at all, I love kids. Having those two on the table really helped. I did a couple of games with them (including my niece's favourite, Mr Napkin Head) and they loved it. The parents were happy because the kids were happy and I was glad because I knew I'd get a good report back to my managers. Lucky for kids, huh?

I've been off for the last couple of days and yesterday I did something really cool. However, I have to be careful what I tell you because it's not up and running yet and we're not allowed to discuss it in too much detail. Anyway, I went along to a park (I won't say which one) to film the opening video to a new attraction which opens next year. I got to see this attraction and it's really cool. Guests will find it very impressive. My part will be seen in the opening video (y'know, the one that explains the attraction) and possibly in the attraction too. I wish I could explain more but I can't. I don't want to risk termination. So, you'll have to wait and hear about it next year when the attraction is up and running. Sorry about that!

Today I went over to the scuzz mall to buy a new pair of jeans. My old ones are now so loose I'm having to keep them up with a belt. I thought it would be really easy but apparantly not. Back home we have jeans and trousers. Over here they have boot cut, flared, low rise, medium, straight legged, skinny legged, ripped, high rise, basic cut.....Neil Armstrong went into space with less technology than that! Plus the sizes were really difficult to understand. Plus they weren't the same store to store. Some were numbered (0, 2, 4, 6 etc.) and in another store it was 24, 25, 26 etc. In yet another store it was 3, 6, 9, 11 etc. I could feel my blood pressure rising! Arrrggghhh! I also came across a very strange type of jeans that I call "shloop" jeans. They are weird. They're normal jeans from the waist to your knees and after that they sort of adhere to your legs. They are so tight they look like tights, they kind of "shloop" to your calf muscles. I looked in the mirror and burst out laughing. From the knees up I was a normal person, from the knees down I was a chicken/human hybrid! They made my legs look as skinny as a pencil and it was just funny! Surprisingly, I didn't buy the shloop jeans!

Right, well, that's all for now. It's my day off today but I don't have any plans. I might go over to Downtown Disney but I might not. I haven't decided yet.

Well, talk to you guys soon!

Tori

2 comments:

meihong said...

Hello.
I'm meihong,Japanese.
I like disney very much,so I want to work for Disny land!

amoo said...

Ahaha! Let me just start by saying thanks for the awesome blog, I love reading about your experience! I'll be coming in May :)

Also, I looooove your description of skinny ['shloop'] jeans - I guess they're pretty popular in north america and europe but not the UK so much, eh? I agree, they're pretty questionable; so are north american sizing systems! good luck finding jeans, and enjoy the busy season!