Wednesday 15 April 2009

My Birthday


It's been a odd couple of weeks since I last blogged. First of all, everyone (and I mean everyone) has been ill recently! There's a really nasty 'flu bug floating around and everyone seems to be out with it. Plus we've got a couple of cast members out with gallstones and wisdom tooth ache so The Rose and Crown isn't very healthy at the moment.

On April 6th, I felt really ill as soon as I got up. However, I never call in unless I'm actually sick (which makes me a complete idiot as everyone else does it so why not take advantage?). I went into work but I ached all over and I felt really hot. Half way through my shift, I went to Jamie and asked to be cut because I really didn't feel well. She said it was a bit inconvienient so I struggled on with service. When Jamie tried to seat me an 8 top, I just gave up trying to keep the illness at bay. I had to sit down in the kitchen (where I threw up in the trash can - ewww!) and I literally couldn't get back up again. I felt like I was going to pass out and kept gasping in air. Of course, that did nothing good and I ended up really light headed. The long and the short of it is, Alisha called the medical team who checked me over and sent me home. I then had to call in for the next two days to try and get my feet back under me. I spent the time sleeping and resting and I never even left my apartment but I finally got over whatever it was I caught.

Work has been weird recently. It's Easter at the moment and all our guests seem to be British. I have nothing against the Brits, in fact, I am one but the worst part is they don't tip. In England, even servers are included with the minumum wage but out here, servers are expected to get tips so our basic wage reflects that. When you work your butt off for a table, you find it really hard when you cash it out to find that they haven't tipped you anything. It's really hard not to take it personally. I always tip when I'm in the States but that's because I understand it. Oh well, it's the start of the summer season now she I'll hopefully get the Yanks back. They tip. They tip well!

On Tuesday, it was my birthday. I turned (inaudible) so I lied and told everyone 22. Most of my friends know I'm really four years older than that but we all went along with it anyway. I'd arranged a day at MK and we all agreed to meet up at mine at 10am (early, according to David!) At 10am, the skies opened and threw down one of the most violent thunderstorms I've ever seen. I stood out on the balcony and watched it. That is, until the wind started pushing the rain sideways. Then I came in. Luckily, it stopped at around 10.30am and soon Vikki and I were joined by Kevin, David, Rene and Iselin. Rene and David apologised as they'd ordered something for me that hadn't arrived so David said he'd sent me the rain and Rene claimed credit for the thunder and lightening. Kevin got me a bottle of Baileys and Vikki got me a bottle of Creme de Menthe so I can mix up a Green Goblin, my favourite cocktail (Baileys, Creme de Menthe and milk, sometimes with Kahlua).

We headed into the park and started off in Adventureland where we did the Jungle Cruise in the rain. Really not fun. Then we did the Tiki Room and Pirates as both were indoors. Fortunately, the weather kept most of the crowds away though the line for Peter Pan's Flight was STILL nearly an hour (we didn't go). We spent the whole day playing on the attractions. We tried to see Peter Pan but the weather must have made it difficult t fly over from Neverland.

In the afternoon, we were joined by Laura (Mitzy) and Stephie. Mitzy pulled me into a little shop in Fantasyland and the cast member noticed my birthday badge. She got me to ring a bell and when I did, lights flashed round the room like Tinkerbell had flown in. She then appeared behind the till before flying off again. It was really sweet. Then the cast member got me to close my eyes and I was "pixie dusted" (covered in glitter). She told me not to think any happy thoughts or I'd end up flying but I did and I never flew. Oh well.

We ate at Cinderella's Royal Table, right inside the castle. It was really good. You start off having your photo taken with Cinderella and then you go upstairs into the banquet hall. The decor was amazing and the stained glass windows looked up and down mainstreet and fantasyland. We were visited by the mice from Cinderella as well as the fairy godmother. Kevin (bless him) had arranged a cake as a surprise so I got a huge chocolate cake with candles to blow out! One of the most amusing parts of the night was when we were all given fairy wands or swords, depending if we were guys or girls. I was opposite Rene and I picked up my wand, he picked up his sword and without a word we traded them. I'd much rather be a knight than a princess and Rene is a fairy anyway! Hee hee!

All in all, it was a really nice day out. The weather could have been better but it didn't matter too much. At the end of the evening, I caught the end of Spectromagic and got to see my Peter Pan at last!

Anyway, gotta go. We have inspection on the 20th and there's a stupid new rule about nothing on the walls so I've got to take it all down. Boo!

Talk to you all soon.

2 comments:

amoo said...

Hey!
So I'm a creeper that's been following your blog, and since few people comment, I thought I would! Thank you so much for putting your experiences up for the rest of us to read, it sounds like you're having a blast! It's too bad about the recession and how it's affecting work, but at least you're enjoying yourself! Have a good four months more there, and I'll be joining the Disney cast in, from today, a month! Exciting :D

amoo said...

Oh, and also - happy belated birthday ;)