Thursday 28 August 2008

Culinary Day

I had a day off yesterday so I made sure to get the heck out of the themeparks. I was just sick of guests and Disney in general so I caught the I-Ride trolley to the opposite end of International Drive and I spent the day getting on and off it at whatever looked interesting. International Drive is quite an interesting place. Obviously, it's all built up around the themeparks but there is more than enough to keep you from getting bored. I had lunch at the Ponderosa and looked at a few of the gift shops. I went out to the mall and I passed Sea World and Wonderworks. It was great to just relax and I went back to work today in a much better mood.

Today was my Culinary Day. That's a day everyone gets in which they work in the kitchen all day. It's a really great way to understand what goes on with preparing the food and how the kitchen really works. It also helps you to learn the menu because you get to prepare and taste the food you;ll be actively upselling to the guests. I started off in the pantry putting together the appetizers and desserts. It was hard to remember what sauce went with what or how much of one item you serve but I got it in the end. I also had the opportunity to try some of the items, such as the creme anglaise and the onion jam (both really nice). I worked all morning on various positions and then I was allowed to go upstairs to the chefs office to try some of the items. I really liked the pork in tamarind sauce and the cottage pie. I wasn't keen on the bangers and mash because the sausages didn't taste like English sausages. Still, I didn't HATE anything, I just preferred certain dishes. In the afternoon, I was preparing the main entrees and it was really hot. I was standing with my back to the ovens and I could feel the sweat rolling down my back. I have nothing but respect for the chefs that manage to work in that heat day in, day out! In the end, I couldn't stand the heat any longer so I volunteered to go into pot wash. I helped out there for twenty minutes and then the day was over.

The weird thing about Culinary Day is you either love it or hate it. I loved it. I enjoyed the break from the normal routine and I really felt I learnt alot. My roommate, Vikki was the other end of the spectrum. She hated it and was glad it was over.

I'm back on regular duty tomorrow. I think I'm seating but it's a six hour shift which is nothing! In fact, I have an easy week of it. I seem to be doing six hour shifts for a while. The only day I'm doing more is when I'm assigning.

I've started proper studying today. I really want to get into service so I've started looking at the menu and learning what I can. It's a little annoying as I know the menu is changing next month but I really want to start.

Anyway, it's getting late! It's already 1.45am and I want to study a bit before bed.

No comments: