Saturday 4 October 2008

Food running, bar and dirty politics

Hey Guys,

How you all doing?

Things here are...woah! Beyond busy. I've barely had a chance to do anything other than work and sleep. Even though I go to bed really late, I don't seem to have extra hours to use. I started food running on Tuesday. It wasn't too bad. All I had to do was run the food from the kitchen to the guests. Well, I also had to keep an eye on the bread to see if we needed any more, and the butter and the condiments. I also had to fold napkins when I wasn't doing any of the rest of it. Still, it was actually fairly good. The hardest part was carrying three steak plates. Those things are really heavy! Luckily it doesn't happen very often. I can take most of the other stuff without any major problem now though. When you do the worst stuff (like the steak plates), the other stuff doesn't seem so bad.

I worked a ten hour day and it flew by without me even noticing. However, my feet were well aware of the time! I limped home with my right foot on fire! I had seventeen blisters on the toes of one foot and by the time I got to the bus, I had tears running down my face from the pain. I was convinced I wouldn't be able to work the following day but luckily my blisters healed quite well overnight. Still, I decided not to risk it. I cut up some socks to pad my toes and threw my shoes into the corner. I wore my other shoes the following day even though they're not "Disney Look". Fortunately, no one noticed. I managed to get through the next couple of days using my non Disney shoes.

I also did a day in the bar. I was quite worried as I don't know alot about alcohol except that one drink knocks me for six. I had to mix cocktails and make smoothies. My trainer, Hayley, was great but she kept getting me to try the drinks. She made me drink all the beers on the Imperial Sampler (a sample of six beers) and I thought I'd throw up. Honestly, how can anyone drink that stuff for fun? YUCK! I was surprised that the bar survived my day. I broke one glass, that was all. I expected to do alot more damage!

I got some pretty decent tips from the last few days. It feels nice to have money though I went out today and spent most of them. Oops.

I start my service training tomorrow. I'm really nervous as it's so much to remember. Apparently, everyone freaks out during their training and everyone cries at least once. All I can do is try my best.

The whole of America seems to be a bit obsessed with politics at the moment. The big election is coming up soon and everyone's discussing who they're voting for. As an outsider, it's interesting how American politics differ from back home. One thing I found really bad was when candidates go on TV and basically slag off their opponents! They don't mention their own policies or what they will do if they get in power, it's more how bad the other people are. It's dirty politics and it really bugs me.

Anyway, I'm up early tomorrow so I'm off to bed. G'night.

1 comment:

Sandy Martin said...

Oh honey! 17 blisters! I couldn't even imagine. :(