Sunday 28 September 2008

The Rose and Crown, study and Cowboys (yee hah!)

Well, I'm now done with Chippie and podium. I start food running tomorrow and it is disturbing how much I'm looking forward to it. It's not just the fact I'll be getting closer to becoming a server, it's not all about the money, I'm really excited to be doing something different. On Tuesday I'm bar training which is worrying because I can't pull a pint to save my life! Still, guess I'll learn.

Last night was the last night at Pleasure Island so a group of people went to PI. The other half of us went to Cowboys. I was in the latter group. Cowboys is a nightclub that plays jazzed up country music. All the regulars seem to know the dances so we all line danced to various songs. The dances were really tricky, they involved alot of turns and if you didn't move fast enough, you got trampled underfoot. The only one of us with any kind of skill line dancing seemed to be Colin who is apparently born with rubber legs! The guy is really good. Still, everyone tried which I thought was amazing. I gave it a good go but due to the fact I'm rhythm retarded, I didn't do too well. On the way home, we stopped off at McDonalds but the line was really long so we went to Wendys instead. It was weird to be eating a burger at 3.30am. The hours I keep out here are crazy!

Today was my day off and Lauren P asked me to help her with her menu learning. I let her borrow my study cards and we went to The Rose and Crown for lunch. It was so much easier to actually see the items we have to spiel to the guests. We ordered stuff we were having difficulty with and then we dissected it. It was hysterical, we were poking around going "right, well, this has this green stuff and then the pork is topped with this...." It was a brilliant way to learn though and I'm now pretty confident that I can picture any menu item and describe it. Lauren P is also ready to spiel to managers. We spoke to Jamie but to my surprise, Lauren (one of the most confident girls I know), just seemed to lose all confidence when faced with a manager. It was annoying because she KNOWS it, we've been working on it all day and she can spiel any item to me with no problem but she seems to get tied up trying to describe everything to other people. It's almost like she's convinced herself she's not going to do well and therefore she doesn't. It was almost painful to watch because I know she knows it and if she relaxes a bit, she'll do really well. I'll head over there in a minute and cheer her up.

Right, well, it's getting late (again!) and I'm at work tomorrow as a food runner (yeah!!). Talk to you soon!

No comments: