Tuesday 27 January 2009

Bad days and good days

I had a REALLY awful day at work the other day. It just seemed like everything went wrong. I had some really evil guests who weren't pleased no matter what I did for them. Someone backed into me in the kitchen and I dropped a tray of nine drinks which set me behind for the first seating. I went out to the table and explained that I'd be a couple of minutes and they answered, "why should we have to wait because you're @~!#ing incompetant?!" That's always nice.

Towards the end of my shift, a table was sat on 505. I had section 501 which includes tables 501, 502, 503 and 504 so 505 wasn't my section. I carried on serving my tables. Twenty five minutes later, the guest comes over and yells that he's been waiting for ages. I went over to the table to check who was meant to be serving and guess what? Apparantly, it was meant to be me! It wasn't my fault, no one had told me that was my table but I didn't want to give excuses to the guests. They wouldn't understand so all I could do was apologise and tell them it was all my fault. Of course, they were angry and everything I did just seemed to make them madder. They ordered the pub burger which is cooked to well done and takes at least 20 minutes. I explained but they were already pissed off. By the end of my shift, I went upstairs to the toilet, sat on the floor and cried my eyes out. I know, pretty pathetic, huh? Still, I cried it all out and I felt so much better afterwards.

The following day, Kevin and I decided we had to get away from Disney and guests and go somewhere quiet. What we needed the most was a national park but here in Orlando, national parks are a little bit rare. Instead, we went to the Wilderness Campground. It's a Disney campground but it's themed to a national park. There are trees and lakes and rivers and it's really quiet and peaceful.

We hired bikes and headed off the marked trails (oopps, naughty us) and into the forest. It was amazing! It was a really sunny day and I enjoyed the exercise. We saw deer and squirrels and rabbits and cranes and herons and a chipmunk. The best part was when we came out of the forest and came across an armadillo. Wow, are they weird looking! They're like armoured rats. This one didn't seem at all bothered by us and we took lots of photos. I was crouched down next to the armadillo and I was even able to reach out and touch its back. It felt like you'd expect it to feel. Like a hard shell.

We spent most of the day on the bikes but we also took the chance to sit by the lake side in deckchairs and just listen to the water lapping on the shore. It was exactly what I needed after my bad day.

There's not much else to report right now. Well, except they're asking for trainers at work. My manager, Alisha, asked if I'd be interested. I'm really not sure, I still sometimes freak out when I have too many tables. However, if there was some sort of position that trains people just on spieling and menu learning, I think I'd be quite good at that. That's book learning, I like that. There's a meeting on Saturday and as I'm on an AM shift I'll be at the Rose and Crown anyway so I may go along.

My only other bit of news is a group of us are planning a trip to Cancun soon. I've always wanted to go to Mexico. I nearly managed it once but something else came up. I really want to see the Mayan ruins and David wants to see the beach. I'm hoping to snorkel and scuba dive. There's a large group of us going and I'm looking forward to it.

Anyway, that's all for now. Talk to you soon!

No comments: