Tuesday 6 January 2009

Work, ice and Gay Lord!

Now that New Year is finally over with, things have really calmed down at work. I went in yesterday and was surprised to see how empty it was. It was reflected in the restaurant too. I didn't have a single table for my first hour and when I finally did get sat it was a two top! Luckily, it got busier towards the end of the night but it was never frantic or even busy, really. Coming right after the holiday rush, it made for a nice relaxing shift. They reckon it'll be like this for at least a month so that means a few extra days off for us. Yes!

I've been over here for five months now and I was worried to learn that I haven't really done any of the things I want to do. I know I have seven months to go but aside from swimming with the manatees and visiting Key West, i've done nothing! People had been talking about an attraction called Ice! over at some hotel so I looked it up online and found it ended the following day. I made a point of getting up early and going to see it and I am so glad I did!

The hotel is called "Gay Lord Palms". I am not making that up. It's actually called Gay Lord Palms. It's a really posh hotel too. In the middle of their atrium there's a huge waterfall. They have alligators you can look at plus over on one side is an area designed to resemble Key West. The bar is on a sailing boat in the middle of a small lake! All of this is indoors as well.

Anyway, as impressive as the hotel was, Kev and I had gone over to see the attraction Ice! It's a walk through attraction containing loads of ice sculptures made out of clear and coloured solid ice. They had an ice bridge you could actually walk on and one scene was of a moonlit lake where the swans were ice on the ice lake. It was beautiful. Further round, they had an ice gingerbread house you could walk through and a thirteen foot Santa who's knee you could sit on. The best part of it was at the end where they had ice slides! Slides made entirely out of ice that you could slide down. I went really fast!

The only drawback to the attraction was it was really, really cold! They provided us with parkas but eventually the minus 12 degree cold really got to us. When we got outside, I had to shake my hands to get the circulation going again and poor Kevin's fingers were red and swollen (he hadn't thought to bring gloves!) Still, I'm really glad we went. Now I can tick off something from my to do list.

Well, I'm working again today so I'd better make tracks! Hope everyone had a good Christmas and a brilliant New Year! I'll write again soon!

1 comment:

meihong said...

I want to experience the attraction Ice.^^