Tuesday 22 July 2008

Owwwww!

Can't...type....Hurts to move.....

In case you
can't guess, I went to the beach today. It was a beautiful sunny day and it seemed every man and his dog were out. I spent a little too much time in the sun and...well, lets just say Baz Lurhman was right when he said, "wear sunscreen". To be fair, I did put some on but I missed my back and under my watch strap. Now I make Sebastian from The Little Mermaid look pale! I'd better lather the sun cream quite thickly for my first month or so in Florida. Especially as it'll be the height of summer!

I checked through all my paperwork today to make sure I've got all I need. I'm not sure what's relevant and what isn't so I figure I'll take the lot and then I know I've got the right thing. I need to make photocopies of most of it because I always leave a copy at home with mum just in case.

I've had alot of people ask me what my uniform will be while I'm in Florida. (Disney call it a "costume".) It's....well...it's...okay, words kinda fail me right now. It's not the worst thing I've ever had to wear but as that was basically a clown costume, that really isn't saying much. As you can see, the costum
e consists of what can only be described as a "peasant" blouse and a long loose flowing skirt. I don't mind the skirt too much but I really hate that blouse! I'm actually shuddering. Still, check out the guys. Are those tights?!? I find it amusing to think that Disney believe this is "authentic costume" for the UK. Maybe back in the 1700's!

I guess I'm lucky to be British. Check out the Canadian costume:
As I said, I'm lucky to be British!

I've now got EXACTLY seven days. That's one week for the maths challenged among you. It's so bizarre to think Ill be on a plane this time next week. No, wait a sec....nope, I'd have landed. I would have been in Florida for nearly an hour. God knows where I'll be. Possibly already at the apartment I'm going to be staying at. That reminds me, I haven't mentionned that yet, have I? This is copied from the Disney literature they gave me. So, here's the run down on:

"The Living Situation (Sounds like the name of a horror film)

The buildings are co-ed, although individual units are not. Each apartment features a washer and dryer, fully-stocked kitchen, private telephone line, full-cable TV, and one bathroom for every two or three residents. The bedrooms are each shared by two people. You are assigned to a unit based on space availability, although preferences might be noted. Living with a group of people from around the world is the most interesting and exciting experience, however many people find it difficult. Remember that you must be willing to share a room with someone who may fancy some exotic cuisine, or is foreign to the concept of taking the garbage out before the 'roaches appear to do the job for you. (Doesn't that sound charming?)

Security is provided 24 hours, and residents must show ID to enter after 9:00 pm. Guests are only permitted when signed in by a resident, and can never remain on the property past 1:00 am - this is VERY strictly enforced! The overbearing behavior of security has been an issue in the past, however the service exists solely for the protection of residents. It is simply better to have it and deal with the nuisances which can pop up, than not have it and lose the secure environment within the complex.

Transportation is available to work, the theme parks, and Wal-Mart, of course. (I love Walmart!) These vans haul residents around the area in relative comfort (relative to walking, that is). But they have been known to be convenient, and even reliable on occasion! If you have a car (which I don't...sob) it would be a HUGE asset to bring. Plenty of parking is available at your doorstep

Roommates

Each country is represented by around 100 participants, and apartments are intentionally mixed so you are roomed with someone from another country. (Oh no...this will either be brilliant or absolutely awful. I don't think there's a middle ground.) Lifelong relationships can develop from this grouping, and by the completion of your contract, you will have friends around the world. On the flipside, though, you must learn to deal with the cultural differences which will undoubtedly arise.

Partying is a full-time activity here. (Wa-hay!) Whether with roommates, countrymates, or just about anyone else, the environment is never without a party. Of course, those who want to rest are seldom disturbed, but why rest - this only lasts one year! (Good point)."

There are four Disney complexes. Patterson Court, Vista Way, The Commons and Chatham Square. I'm pretty sure I'll be in "The Commons" but I don't know for certain yet. I'll find out when I get there. Anyway, here's a picture of The Commons, where I THINK I'll be living.

Things are so uncertain right now. There's so much that I'll "find out when I get there". Simple things like "where do I put my toothbrush" to bigger things like "where's the alcohol?!" In a week, I should know the answers to these questions. Plus more besides!

2 comments:

CaseyMac said...

Thats Colin!!! I adore that boy! (one on the far right of the UK pic!)

Jenn said...

Alcohol can be purchased at Walmart. You can take a taxi there or the bus on days when it's running. It's route H (you will get a bus schedule when you arrive).

Your toothbrush can go on your bathroom counter or in the little cabinets. You might want a toothbrush holder though. ;)

Can't wait to meet you!
<3 Jenn

PS: I think the Canadian costumes are HOT. I love being a lumberjack... fortunately they aren't too warm and dry pretty quickly!